×

Our GMG Student Council

The GMG Student Council is an organization that plans and fundraises activities for the student body, such as Homecoming.

GMG has about 15 students on the Student Council.

Officers include President Alice Hunt; Vice President Lilly Bru; Secretary Lexi Vazquez; Treasurers Anna Mussig and Dylan Mathern; Event Manager Brooklyn Jones; Student Advisor Austin Pencil.

These students collaborate to plan dances, lock-ins, haunted hallways, and volunteer projects. The Student Council helps at the House of Compassion, and with the school-wide Earth Day cleanup.

Homecoming 2023 took a great deal of planning for GMG’s Student Council. The group planned dress up days for the student body, class competitions, and the Homecoming dance.

Hunt, Pencil, and Lilly Bru decorated for the dance. Gayle Beck

worked to set up the gym, too. Violet Jackson and Gracie Deal helped decorate for the coronation ceremony.

Dress up days for Homecoming week included: Monday-‘Merica Monday; Tuesday-Barbie vs. Ken; Wednesday-Rhyme Without Rea- son; Thursday-Decade Day (by class); and Friday-Spirit Day.

Other activities were Ruff and Tuff, Human Pyramid Relay, Lip Sync, Powder Puff football, and Tug of War. With each activity, students had the chance to earn points for their class in an attempt to win the Spirit Trophy.

Ruff and Tuff Volleyball began on Monday, and by the end of the week, the seniors had won the tournament.

On Tuesday, the Human Pyramid Relay took place. Students participating in the relay raced back and forth across the gym doing various things, then formed a pyramid at the finish line.

The seniors won the relay, earning more points for their class.

The annual Lip Sync competition took place on Wednesday. Each class did a good job, which made it difficult for the judges to choose a winner. After much discussion, the junior class won first place.

The Powder Puff game also was held on Wednesday. The freshmen/sophomores team won the game. Both classes earned points toward the Spirit Trophy.

The seniors won the Tug of War battle, which took place on Thursday.

Throughout the week, each class designed its own float for the Homecoming parade on Friday.

The juniors were recognized for building the best float.

After all of the events and challenges that took place during Homecoming week, the Spirit Trophy went to the juniors and seniors, who tied for first place. Each class received $50 for their class fund.

The Scoop student newspaper is published monthly by the GMG high school journalism class. This September issue article is reprinted here through a partnership between the Sun Courier and GMG. The Scoop’s editor is Angie Larson.